So, I'm here! It's hot but everyone seems quite friendly.
My first flight was slightly delayed in leaving as it had to refuel etc. and we ended up leaving about 45 minutes later than planned. As I had so much time between each flights I wasn't worried and still had a fairly long wait in Malaga airport.
I boarded for the second flight onto the tiniest plane I have ever seen in my life. It was a quarter full with about 30 people and I couldn't even take my hand luggage on. It had to be placed in the front of the plane (there was no underneath - we climbed up the stairs that were built into the plane door). It was a pretty scary flight but as we came into Melilla the coastline was gorgeous and I could see the sea which was a beautiful greeny, blue.
I jumped in a taxi and got to the hostel about 6pm. My room is OK - I found out this morning that breakfast is included so I'm going to get some of that tomorrow.
Hayley called me as soon as I got here and I went for a wander around town and met her at about 7pm. We waited in the phone shop for about an hour sorting out her phone. I found out at the end of the hour (I waited patiently hoping I could sort out my phone situation - or the lack of it) that there were no phones in stock. Grrr!
We went to a few bars, had some tapas and I headed back here at about 10pm (in a taxi - I'm yet to learn which areas are worse than others and didn't want to chance it). I consequently have now found out where to get taxis from town which might be important depending on where I'm living.
I slept horrendously... Kids were screaming in the corridor just as I was drifting off to sleep, then pretty much all night. When I did get to sleep I was woken up at about 7.30am by the people next door (the walls are thinner than paper in this place!) I tried to get some more sleep and got up about 9.30am in the end when it just wasn't working. An unhappy, tired, banging headache ridden Stacey. Not good. It sounds like they've just got back now too, so another sleepless night seems to be ahead of me. Hopefully they'll go after the weekend and are just on holiday.
This morning I went to a different phone shop and got myself a nice little Spanish mobile (my number is 0034645119774 but I'll still be using my English phone to receive texts).
Hayley and I had organised to meet at midday and walk around the old town. It was really pretty and the sun was pretty hot.
Then we went to the beach (and saw about 7 dead jellyfish - this place is renowned for it's jellyfish and they normally put up warning flags when there are too many about!).
We both headed home about 7pm arranging to meet later in my area of town. She seemed pretty rushed to get home this afternoon to read an email from her boyfriend and as I thought might happen she now prefers staying in the central area (where she's temporarily staying - about a 40 minute walk - in the dark now - from where I am). I've consequently decided to stay in tonight and try and catch up on some sleep.
I've spent half of the evening looking for flats and am finding more announcements looking for flats than flats available which is quite worrying.
The rest of my evening is going to be spent studying the newspaper that I bought earlier, noting down vocab and trying to get this Spanish malarki a bit better.
So after my first day I kind of have my bearings of the place but there's a lot more that I need to do.
Hey... Rome wasn't built in a day...!
No comments:
Post a Comment