Sunday, 10 October 2010

Exploring

I spent Saturday sleeping and exploring. I walked along to the port and asked about waterski-ing lessons only to find that I couldn't communicate. I told the guy that I'd come back another time with someone else who could speak better Spanish than I do! That was frustrating and kind of got me a bit flat...

In the evening I met up with Annalisa and we went for a few drinks at the port. We bumped into one of my teachers and stayed with him and his friends for a bit and when it got later I texted my landlord to ask what time is a suitable time to walk home on my own. I told him that we were at the port if he wanted to join us. We spent the night drinking, dancing and talking and at 8am we drunkenly wandered back to the flat along the beach.

Naturally, yesterday was another lazy day, waking up at 3pm! We went and picked up Annalisa in the car and on the way back Brain showed us the border fence. Everyone was casually walking past it as if it was normal. It's very odd. Everyone is trapped, almost like a prison, but nobody tries to get out etc. Consequently we saw a little bit of Morocco from Melilla!



We came back to the flat, munched on some pizza and headed back into town to see some sort of military ceremony in the centre of town (I saw them practicing the other day with the band, etc.). On the way there my landlord drove us up to Los Pinos which is where there's like a national park, but with a difference - you can see the sea!


It was absolutely beautiful and it felt like we were stood on the edge of the world with a vast sea in front of us. Truly breath-taking (without being too cheesy!).


See the colour of the sea?! Gorgeous!

 

It's another part of the border fence which makes sure that the Moroccans don't come into Melilla at the end of the beach. There are police watchmen all along the border fence.



Then Brain took us down the bottom of the cliff to this beach, then around to another and by that time we'd missed the military ceremony, headed back to the flat and crashed out. A short day, but much exploring done.


Today I don't really have much to do and Monday and Tuesday are bank holiday too, so the next few days are going to be the same. It's windy and rainy so I can't even hit the beach. Bum! I've bought a Spanish book so I suppose I should get my head stuck into that...


Happy Sunday - enjoy your roasts!

4 comments:

  1. This is really good Stace, are you free weekend 19th - 21st Nov?
    Dad x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am - and 17th November is a bank holiday too. I don't work Fridays as you might remember so do it! Just book your tickets early so you avoid the price increase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Thats good then, as already booked the flights and hotels ! Over to you Fri 19th Nov - leave Sun 21st Nov. We are really looking forward to coming across to see you in your new home !x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What hotel are you staying at and what time do you get here? You'll have to send me an e-mail with all the details.

    ReplyDelete