Monday, 28 March 2011

Super Stacey, the slacker

I have been incredibly slack.... But I do have an excuse or two!

I've been sorting out things for my placement in London for this summer, and applying for Masters. For any of those who didn't see on my Facebook or hear otherwise I've been offered a place on the MA in Translation in a European Context at Aston and also a place on the MA in Translation and Interpreting at Westminster. I'm trying to get things together so that I can go to London, be with Beanbag and stay in one place for once. That would be nice! So lots of organising for that as regards scholarships, living arrangements, etc.

I also have about seventeen private classes a week as term is drawing to a close and the slackers that haven't done anything all year have decided that now's the time to start learning ready for exams in June. Silly fools - Super Stacey to the rescue! It eats into my weekend but it's all baby steps to Westminster, the way I see it!

Furthermore, I've been working away in my free time (as in hours between classes) doing some transcription work for a well-reputed translation company, getting up my experience and getting closer to making Westminster less of a pipe dream and more of a reality.

Then I realised that it seems I'm actually here more so to teach English rather than to learn Spanish and that was not the plan! I realised that when I get back to England and apply for a job with Spanish I have no paperwork to show that I can speak it at a fairly good level. My colleague at school kindly found some information about the DELE (a Spanish internationally recognised standard - you get me?!). The exams costs €160-odd here in Melilla and across the border in Nador they charge just €45.
There's a Hungarian girl that I've met over the past few months that has lived here for a few years. She also wants to sit the exam too, although a different level, and we're going to go to Nador this Friday to hand in all the papers and get registered. The exam is in May so I'm working towards that - hopefully I'll pass although the more I study, the weaker I realise I am!

So all work and no play makes Stacey a dull girl that doesn't blog and seems to have less and less fun. I've wanted to learn to windsurf since I got here and the Hungarian girl and a few other friends are quite keen. I've been calling up but perhaps because the weather hasn't been that nice or something we just haven't got round to doing it. I hear there's a class this Saturday so this week I shall put my name down so that outside of studying languages I can do something a little different!

So that's what's been going on - I've not even mentioned my trip to Malaga to see Chrissy nor my school trip, nor our planned trip to Andalusia. Oh jeez - I've got so much to write about! Bare with me peeps - as always, I'm taking on too much!

1 comment: